Click > HERE < to read Georgia Faye's story . . . in her own words . . .
George Rettig Henry was born on this date . . . the 21st day of August . . . in the year 1897 . . . in Milam County, Texas. He was the 1st-born son of Edgar and Berta Mary (Sharp) Henry . . . the Keeper of this family history blog knew him as "Uncle George" but he was actually a grand-uncle aka older brother of maternal grandpa . . . Uncle George and Aunt Ruth lived sorta catty-cornered behind our house when we were growing up . . . we could walk through the pasture to get to their back door, which was always open . . . Aunt Ruth's coconut pie is frequently requested for family gatherings . . .
Their children --
On this date in our extended family history . . . the 20th day of August . . . in the year 1912 . . . Nellie Josephine Henry is born in Milam County, Texas. The lovely woman I knew as Aunt Nellie was actually my grand-aunt, i.e., she was the youngest sister of my maternal grandpa, Robert E. Henry (1905-1976). Nellie was the 8th of eight children known to have been born to my maternal great-grandparents, Edgar and Berta Mary (Sharp) Henry. She was named for both of her grandmothers -- Mary Alexandrien "Nellie" Sharp nee Lemaire (1843-1876) and Josephine Wingfield Henry nee Davis (1842-1899). In 1938, Nellie married Alton Brooks Peebles, who happened to be a 3rd cousin once removed to the man Nellie's niece, Roberta, would marry in 1950. (I do not believe they ever knew they were related!)
|Sharp & Henry|
Randy Seaver's challenge for this evening is to List your 16 great-grandparents in pedigree chart order. List their birth and death years and places. Figure out the dominant ethnicity or nationality of each of them. Calculate your ancestral ethnicity or nationality by adding them up for the 16 - 6.25% for each. So . . .
When I get mine all figured out (see the chart and ahnentafel below) it does seem that my "dominant ethnicity or nationality" (based on my great-great-grandparents) is . . . American? . . . with a large helping of the South . . . and just a pinch of down Maine (via my maternal grandma and her ancestors).
One more generation back may take one branch across the big pond to France, but other than that, all known branches have been on American soil for several more generations, before connecting back mostly to England, with a few from France.
One line, Josephine #25, does appear (at this time) to connect waayyy back to the Kings and Queens of England and France and Ireland and Portugal and Scotland and Spain . . . and even if this potential royal connection winds up being untrue, it sure has been an interesting journey through history to look at these characters as potential ancestors, and real people, instead of just boring names on the pages of a history book.
This 8.5 x 14 pale green Standard Pedigree Chart (generated by Family Tree Maker) hangs on the bookcase that sits one foot away from my computer perch (not actually a chair, but one of those ergonomic kneeling stool thingies) -- so this version of my ancestor list is always available as a quick reference. And my ahnentafel is on permanent display on one of my other sites (pre-blogspot days) -- gonetotexas.proboards.com. My great-great-grandparents from that ahnentafel (with their actual ahnentafel numbers) --
 Joseph W. POUNDERS (c.1822-bef.1880) married before 1867 in Alabama to
 Nancy Virilla QUINN (1847-1930)
- Joseph & Nancy were both born & died in Alabama
- Joseph's parents -- Lemuel Samuel Pounders & Mary Margery Holcomb -- were born in North Carolina
- Nancy's father -- John Quinn -- was born in Tennessee & her mother -- Susannah -- in Alabama
 Unknown* unknown ? relationship ? in ? Alabama ? to
 Sushannah HOLLAND (1841-1930)
- Sushannah was born in Alabama & died in Texas
- her father -- Edward Holland -- was born in Tennessee & her mother -- Mary Annie Fretwell -- in Alabama
- * Great-great-grandpa #18 will probably never be known. The purported father (Isaac Cain) of my great-grandma (the only daughter of Sushannah Holland) appears to have died during the war between the states . . . while "their" daughter appears to have been born in 1873 . . . about 10 years after he died . . . Sushannah drew a confederate pension on the man she claimed was the father of both of her children . . . and it stated that he died during the war (1861-1865).
 William Alexander MUSTON (1854-1936) married before 1880 in Texas to
 Mollie OLIVE (c. 1853-c. 1897)
- William was born in Alabama & died in Texas
- Mollie was born in Georgia & died in Texas
- William's father -- William Thomas Muston -- was born in South Carolina & his mother -- Rebecca King -- in Alabama
- Mollie's father -- Littleton Olive -- was born in Georgia & her mother -- Clementine Jordan -- in South Carolina
 Joseph Helidorah NETTLES (1832-1890) married 1871 in Texas to
 Mary Annie "Mollie" WEST (1852-1939)
- Joseph was born in Alabama & died in Texas
- Mollie was born in Mississippi & died in Texas
- Joseph's parents are unidentified at this time
- Mollie's father -- Richard C. West, Jr. -- was born in Kentucky & her mother -- Sarah Mildred Carter -- in Alabama
 William Pascal HENRY (1836-1912) married 1864 in Texas to
 Josephine Wingfield DAVIS (1842-1899)
- William was born in Kentucky & died in Texas
- Josephine was born in Georgia & died in Texas
- William's parents -- Thomas Henry & Mary Kirtley -- were born & died in Kentucky
- Josephine's parents -- Milton Grant Davis & America James Fears -- were born in Georgia, where her mother died while her father died in Texas
 Samuel Houston SHARP, Sr. (c.1839-c.1885) married 1861 in Texas to
 Mary Alexandrien LEMAIRE (1843-1876)
- Samuel & Mary Alexandrien were born & died in Texas
- Sam's father -- John M. Sharp -- may have come to Texas from Tennessee
- Sam's mother -- Mahala Lee Roberts -- was born in Louisiana & died in Texas
- Mary Alexandrien's mother -- Elizabeth A. Waring -- was born in Maryland & is presumed to have died in Texas
- Mary Alexandrien's father is believed to have been born in France, & to have died at sea
 Atwood F. SMITH (1837-1907) married 1857 in Maine to
 Jerusha Marilla BARKER (1841-1899)
- Atwood & Jerusha were born & died in Maine
- Atwood's parents -- Hiram B. Smith & Betsey T. Ford -- were born & died in Maine
- Jerusha's parents -- Timothy Barker & Jerusha Lakin Hobbs -- were born in Maine & are presumed to have died in Maine
 Unknown** unknown ? relationship ? in ? Maine ? to
 Phoebe MERRILL (1848-aft.1920)
- Phoebe was born & is presumed to have died in Maine
- both of Phoebe's parents -- William Thurston Merrill & Olive Jane [Goodwin or Mason] were born & died in Maine
- ** Great-great-grandpa #30 will probably never be known. It does appear that Phoebe Merrill gave her baby girl, Eva Mae, to her older sister, Lizzie (Merrill) Brackett, to raise as her own.
On (or about) this date in history . . . the 4th day of August . . . in the year 1060 . . . King Henry I of France dies in France, and is laid to rest at the basilica of Saint Denis, now located in a northern suburb of Paris. This King Henry is currently believed to be a 26th great-grandpa of our Josephine (1842-1899), who is a 2nd great-grandma to the Keeper of this blog.
St-Denis Basilica houses the remains of kings, queens and royal children, as well as those of leading personalities who served the French court. It is possible to date most monuments simply from their appearance, thus they serve as a chronological chart of French funeral art through the Middle Ages and into the Renaissance. Up to the Renaissance, the only sculpture to adorn tombs was in the form of recumbent figures. . . . Around 1260 St. Louis commissioned a series of effigies of all the rulers who had preceded him since the 7th century. The figures were mere allegories but they provide a telling example of how royalty was portrayed towards the mid-13th century. . . .P.S. If you have not read Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth, I highly recommend it if you are interested in reading a historical novel that just happens to tell how the early Gothic cathedrals might have been constructed.
On this date in our extended family history . . . the 2nd day of August . . . in the year 1842 . . . Felix Grundy Roberts (1818-1901) marries Elizabeth K. Layton (1826-1894) in Kentucky. This Felix is the younger brother of my 3rd great-grandma, Mahala Lee Sharp Hall nee Roberts (1816-1885). These photos of Felix and Elizabeth were shared by their 2nd great-grandson (and my 4th cousin once removed), Gary Rash, who received them from his mother, Margaret Ruth (Roberts) Rash.
|* The following are believed to be ancestral surnames of Milton Grant Davis (1811-1863) who was born in Georgia and is believed to have died in Texas * Anthony * Beckley * Candler * Clark * Davis * Evans * Farrar * Fiske? * Giles * Grant * Green * Hart * Hayward * Howard * Lucas * May * Merton * Moorman * Morgan * Netherland * Richardson * Rush * Skelton * Smith * Tate * Thomas * Upham * Waddy * Walsingham|
|* The following are believed to be ancestral surnames of America James Davis nee Fears (1810-1857) who was born and died in Georgia * Anthony * Baker * Barham * Beeching * Bine * Bline * Brereton * Byrd * Colles * Duke * Dutton * Dymock * Fears * Fenne * Franckelyn * Fulton * Gethin * Goch * Hanmer * Hawte * Hayward * Horsmonden * Hurd * Iorwert * Kempe * King * Kynaston * Lloyd * Mountcastle * Neville * Parke * Percy * Porter * Puleston * Scott * Smythe * St. Leger * Stafford * Stegge * Stone * Taylor * Turner * Warham * Watson|
|* The following are believed to be ancestral surnames of William Paschal Henry (1836-1912) who was born in Kentucky and died in Texas * Baynham * Beauford * Beaufort * Bendy * Benson * Blount * Buford * Calloway * Constable * Cowhill * Davies * Early * Gomond * Hayworth * Henry * Johnson * Johnston * Kirtley * Lee * Lewis * Loyall * Malle * Metstand * Morton * Owen * Parrott * Phillips * Prou * Pugh * Roberts * Romney * Sutton * Thomison * Trammell * Vause * Vensandeu * Williams|
|* The following are believed to be ancestral surnames of Mary Alexandrien Sharp nee Lemaire (1843-1876) who was born and died in Texas * BACON :: earliest is Elizabeth (BACON) Nuthall who died 1660 in Virginia * Belt * Belton * Brant * Clement * Corbow * de Warenne * Gantt * Grafton * Greenfield * Griffin * HILLEARY :: earliest is Thomas HILLEARY who died 1696/7 in Maryland * Hosier * Lamar * LEMAIRE :: earliest is Mary Alexandrien (LEMAIRE) Sharp who died 1876 in Texas :: father possibly Alexander Lemaire from France * LeMire * Leton * Lycester * MAGRUDER :: earliest is Cassandra (MAGRUDER) Hilleary who died 1808 in Maryland * Marsham * NUTHALL :: earliest is John NUTHALL who died 1667 in Maryland * Offutt * Perkes * Smith * SPRIGG :: earliest in America is Thomas SPRIGG who died 1704 in Maryland * Truman * WARING :: earliest in America is Sampson WARING who died 1662/3 in Maryland * Waringe * Warring * Young|
|* The following are believed to be ancestral surnames of Phoebe Morse Tripp nee Merrill (1848-bef. 1930) who lived in Maine * Alger * Belchan * Blakely * Blaxall * Bond * Byrd * Chase * Clough * Fenderson * Goodwin * Groth * Harmon * Jackman * James * John * Mason * Merrill * Milliken * Norton * Palmer * Pearson * Pell * Pine * Piper * Poore * Robinson * Robinson * Rogers * Runnels * Sheppard * Thurston * Wellerton * Wheeler * Wilmot * Wolterton * Yeomans|
|* The following are believed to be ancestral surnames of Charles G. Muston (1882-1915) who died in Texas and is believed to have been born there * Allard * Burt * Griggs * Jordan * King * Muston * Newsome * Olive|
|* The following are believed to be ancestral surnames of Joseph Helidorah Nettles (1832-1890) who was born in Alabama and died in Texas * Carter * Connor? * Ditto? * Dunaway? * Eastern? * Fulton * Nettles * Saunders? * West|
|* The following are believed to be ancestral surnames of Jacob Edmund Forrest Pounders (1902-1957) who was born and died in Texas * CAIN :: Isaac Cosby Cain is POSSIBLY father of Mary Susan Pounders nee [Cain] * Holcomb * Holland * Pounders * Quinn|
|* The following are believed to be ancestral surnames of Samuel Houston Sharp (1839-1885) who was born and died in Texas * Daniel * GILL :: earliest is William GILL who died in 1804 in Kentucky * Griggs * PAYNE :: earliest is Rhoda (PAYNE) Roberts who died after 1805 * ROBERTS :: earliest is George ROBERTS who died ca. 1773 in Virginia * SHARP :: earliest is John M. SHARP who presumably died before 1846 in Texas|
|* The following are believed to be ancestral surnames of Thomas Warren Alonzo Smith (1866-1920) who was born and died in Maine * Baker * Banet * BARKER :: earliest is Timothy BARKER who died after 1870, presumably in Maine * BOTTS :: earliest is Isaac BOTTS who d. 1675 in Maine * BRACKETT :: earliest is Anthony BRACKETT who died 1691 in New Hampshire * Brown * Bryant * Cadwalles * Cary * Cate * CLEEVES :: earliest is George CLEEVES who died ca. 1667, presumably in Maine * Cleve * Colle * Cromlan * Curtis * Eddy * Emery * Farnsworth * Farr * FORD :: earliest is Betsey (FORD) Smith who died 1899 in Maine * Frost * Gale * Gowen * Hamden * Harper * HOBBS :: earliest is Morrill HOBBS who died 1826 in Maine * Hodsdon * Jenkins * Lakin * Madistard * MITTEN :: earliest is George MITTON who died ca. 1667 in * Morrell * Nason * Nock * Northend * Parker * Porter * Price * Robinson * Rogers * Salmon * Simonds * SMITH :: earliest is Hiram B. SMITH who died 1877 in Maine * Stowers * Tetherly * Thompson * Thorne * URANN :: earliest is William URANN who died ca. 1664 * Wall * Wines|