On this date in our family history . . . the 21st day of April . . . in the year 1950 . . . Mary Susan Pounders dies in Houston, Harris County, Texas . . . this Mary Susan is the mother of Jacob Edmund Forrest Pounders (1902-1957) . . . aka Pa Jake . . . who is the paternal grandpa of the Keeper of this family history blog . . . it is said that Mary Susan was born the 30th of September 1873 in Franklin County, Alabama . . . and Isaac Cosby Cain is said to be her father . . . however! . . . based on information in her mother's (Sushannah Holland Cain) application for a confederate pension, it was reported that Isaac Cain died in 1863 at Vicksburg . . . more than 10 years before Mary Susan was supposedly born . . .
- 1850 Census :: Eight-year-old Susan Holland (Mary Susan's mother) is enumerated with her parents and siblings in Franklin County, Alabama. I have not found Isaac Cain in 1850 -- unless he is the 17-year-old living in Pontotoc County, Mississippi?
- 1860 Census :: I find Isaac and Susan (Holland) Cain in 1860 living in Marion County, Alabama.
- 1870 Census :: I have not yet been able to find Mary Susan's mother on the 1870 Census. As a matter of fact, several members of the Holland family are MIA for this census. I did find a Thomas Cain of the right age -- living in 1870 in Tishomingo County, Mississippi (next door to Franklin County, Alabama) with the head-of-household named James Turner. Is this Susan and Isaac's son?
- 1880 Census :: On the 1880 Alabama Census Mary Susan appears in Alabama as a 7-year-old (born 1873) living in Franklin County with her 18-year-old brother, Thomas . . . and their widowed mother, Susan Cain, is head-of-household.
- 1900 Census :: Mary Susan is married and living in Texas with her husband and children.
It is said that Mary Susan's mother, Sushannah, came to Texas with them when they left Alabama about 1896 . . . but I have not been able to find Sushannah on the 1900 or 1910 or 1920 census records . . . she does appear as Susin Cain on the 1930 census in Lee County, Texas, living with her daughter and her family . . . please do let me know if you have any suggestions or input on this family . . .